Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stepping Out Into the Real World

I spent a lot of time contemplating what I could do with my life that didn't include entering the working world. Alas, I wound up getting a job anyway.

However, this is no regular 9-5. I actually got a job in my field. Crazy, right? In this economy!

I am very excited. I think I'm more excited to gain the experience and the job security that I was really scared of not having. I was scared of not having an income, a place to live, and most of all, that I would have to spend every day for the rest of my life applying for jobs I either didn't want or wasn't qualified for.

So what is it that I "do"?

I recently got a job on the production crew at Wisconsin Public Television. The station is run out of Vilas, so I didn't even have to move off campus to get another job. Ridiculous, right? It's perfect. And while it is only part-time, meaning that I do have to get another job to be able to pay to live alone, I can't imagine finding a better fit for a first job. It will certainly look good on my resume in the future.

I haven't done much aside from training so far, but last week I did help out at Concerts on the Square. It was sort of a surreal experience, but after 10 1/2 hours of work, I left feeling satisfied and energetic, a feeling I hadn't gotten from working at Frank's Place for a long time.

I'm really happy, and things are looking up.

A big thanks to Jeremy Jewett for keeping this in his inbox for four years and knowing in the end that I would be ok.

Dear friend,

Congratulations on dominating four years of college. See how far you've come? Enjoy the summer.

jrj

--- On Thu, 9/7/06, ANASTASIA MARIE DETERT wrote:


From: ANASTASIA MARIE DETERT
Subject: Re: oggians
To: "Jeremy Jewett"
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2006, 8:12 PM

Truthfully, my first week was terrible. Right now all I wanna do is drop
all my classes, get a refund, and go home. Apparently, though, nobody
else wants me to, and my mom won't let me. And I have no life. Most of
my free time this week has been spent doing homework that just keeps
acumulating. I can't win. Any suggestions? You can be my mentor and help
me from dying a slow and painful death here.


2 comments:

  1. Congrads Ana!!!!

    Things are looking up for you! Wish i could say the same! But i'm back blogging after a long hiatus!

    Hope to hear more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that guy you mention sounds like a pretty cool guy.

    glad to hear of the sweet gig, ana. sounds like a lot of fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete